Découvrir Toul

The history of Toul over the centuries

Tullum Leucorum is the capital of the Celtic nation of the Leucques. It belongs to the Belgian Gaul and was occupied by the Romans since 51 BC. Julius Caesar spoke about a proud, courageous and war faring people.

The Roman road from Lyon to Triers went right through the middle of the town (the current rue Michâtel) and this stimulated economic development.
Following the Edict of Milan in 313 which allowed freedom of religion for Christians, Saint Mansuy, an evangelist, arrived in Toul in the middle of the fourth century.

After the Pax Romana followed a period of successive invasions from the East. The town was destroyed, especially in 451 by the troops of Attila.

After the death of Clovis in 925, Toul belonged successively to the Austrasia kingdom, the Carolingian dynasty and the Lothringian kingdom.

In 1552, Henry II, king of France, entered the city and left a garrison behind. In 1648, with the Treaty of Westphalia, Toul becomes officially French.

Situated on the borders of the French Kingdom, the town is fortified by Vauban in 1700 and becomes a stronghold.
The dismembering of the diocese in 1777 marks the decline of this ageing city for the benefit of Nancy, a more recent and dynamic town.
The Revolution causes the destruction of many religious buildings and marks the end of nearly 14 centuries of episcopal history in Toul.